Thursday, October 25, 2012

Bjork Swan Dress Costume


I just entered this dress into a radio contest for musical costumes.  I made it a year or two ago (ah! can't remember!)  using TONS of tulle.  I made it in two parts: a satin under dress and an attaching swan neck.  I made the bodice texture by folding the tulle into little triangles and sewing it on in rows.  I was trying to approximate the look of feathers.  This is the part that took the longest.  For the skirt I made attached tiered, fluffy, voluminous skirts to the waist and also sewed a separate tulle tutu-like skirt that I could slip on under the other skirts to add to the volume.  I put in a side zipper. 

The one-shouldered strap ended about 4 inches below my shoulder and attached over a button I sewed on the end of the swan neck.  The swan neck was made like a stuffed animal, with orange felt and black pleather for the head.  The exposed area of the neck was sewed with layers of heavy duty sew-in interfacing that I cut to look like feathers.  The part of the neck that looped behind my neck was covered in white stretch lace fabric. I think I liked the swan part so much that I unconsciously made the swan head bigger than the original dress, lol, that really wasn't quite intentional, but I still like it. 

cool camera effect, huh? 


1 comment:

  1. You created a fun and fabulous version of the classic Bjork swan costume! I am in awe of your talent and skill as I looked through your blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete